The history of our refinery began in 1917, when the International Petroleum Company (IPC), with a team of workers from Talara, put into service a battery of four stills with a processing capacity of 10,000 barrels per day (MBD).
Later, in 1926 the four Thermic Cracking Units were installed, and three years later the Lubricant Distillation Plant – which meant the entrance to the lubricant base production – and in 1938 the same happened with the Asphalt Plant.
In 1954 the Tubular Still Nº 2 went into operation (now the Primary Distillation Unit), with a processing capacity of 45 MBDC of crude oil that, in 1962, expanded to 62 MBDC.
On July 24, 1969 Petróleos del Perú – PETROPERÚ S.A. was created, which, with a clear vision of the future, pushed in 1975 for newer industrial projects. This way, the current Catalytic Cracking Complex (CCC) was installed, made up of the Vacuum Distillation Unit (UDV) with a processing capacity of 19.8 MBDC, and a Catalytic Cracking Unit (UCC) with a processing capacity of 16.6 MBDC. Later, these were expanded to 29 MBDC and 19 MBDC, respectively.
Likewise, a basic petrochemical complex was installed, made up of the fertilizing plants (urea and ammonia), carbon black and solvents (acetone and isopropyl alcohol – IPA). These three petrochemical plants were shut down between 1991 and 1992 as part of the privatization process of PETROPERÚ.
In 1995, the current Liquid Cargo Dock went into operation, of vital importance for the reception and departure of products from our refinery to the national and international markets.
In 2003 the crude desalinizer plant was installed, the oven was replaced and the instrumentation system was modernized. Also, four years later two storage tanks were put into service, for the storage of crude, of 137 MB each.
In June of 2004 we obtained the PBIP code certification in our port facilities, in September of that year we achieved the certification of the Environmental Management System (ISO-14001), and in December of 2006, Indecopi accredited our laboratory with the Standard ISO/IEC-17025:2006 (ISO 17025), which certifies the quality of our fuels.
In August of 2008 we obtained the certification of the Quality Management System (ISO 9001) for our port facilities. In March of the following year we obtained the Certification of the Workplace Health and Safety Management System (OHSAS-18001) and in December of 2011 the certification of the Integrated Management System SIG (ISO 9901, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001).
In that year, we also participated in the National Quality Award, organized by the Quality Management Committee of the National Industry Society (SIN, for its initials in Spanish), where we got the “Quality Leader Medal-Silver Category”. The following year we achieved the “Quality Leader Medal-Gold Category” and the “National Quality Award 2012”.
On May 29, 2014, we approved the signing of the contract for the execution of the Modernization Project of the Talara Refinery (PMRT) with the company Técnicas Reunidas from Spain, currently in execution.
The following year, in April of 2015, we increased the storage capacity of crudes and products by putting into operation four tanks of 160 MB each, for Diesel 2 and primary gasoline, as well as three LPG spheres (two in the Talara Plant and one in refinery). Also, in March of 2016, we launched into service three tanks of 120 MB each for the storage of Turbo A-1 (02) and Biodiesel B100 (01), and a tank of 380 MB, the one with the largest capacity of the Talara Refinery, for the storage of crude oil.
The Talara Refinery, installed over an area of 128.9 hectares, is located in the city of the same name in the department of Piura, 1185 km north of Lima, the capital of Peru. In the South, it limits the residential area of Punta Arenas; in the West and North with the Talara Bay, and in the West with Avenue G of the city.
The storage tanks are in the South-east area and in the Western band, while the main process units are distributed in the South-north direction.
In the Bay of Talara operates the Liquid Cargo Dock, where multiproduct are loaded and unloaded, from PLG to industrial oils.
Starting on 2009, the Talara Refinery has a processing capacity of 65 MBDC, the second holding the largest production of the country.
What is its function?
The Talara Refinery, the most representative business unit in PETROPERÚ, generates 77% of the total production and has a participation of 28% of the sales of Hydrocarbon derivates in the Peruvian market.
The fuels obtained from the process units are: LPG, gasoline, Turbo A1, diesel, industrial oil, as well as asphalt, solvents and others. The distribution is primarily done through cabotage to the terminals located in the Peruvian coast, from where they are redistributed to the local sales plants and, finally, the service stations at a national level.
How does it benefit us?
The Talara Refinery contributes to the development of the country, as it generates 589 direct workplaces and over one thousand indirect jobs, and drives the development of new technologies.
Thanks to the joint work between the Government and PETROPERÚ, the Modernization Project of the Talara Refinery (PMRT) has a legal viability guarantee: Law Nº 30130, “Law that declares of public necessity and national interest the priority execution of the modernization of the Talara Refinery, to ensure the preservation of the air quality and the public health, and adopts measures to strengthen the corporate governance of Petróleos del Perú – PETROPERÚ S.A.”. Its regulations were published on March 24, 2014, through D.S. N° 008-2014-EM, and the modernization process began on May 29 of that same year. This will allow the expansion of the production capability to better satisfy the demand of the national and international markets with high-quality products and higher commercial value.
It will also contribute to improve public health, since, by reducing the sulphur content in fuels, it will reduce the frequency of respiratory diseases and will contribute to reducing the expenditure in health and hospital care for Peruvians. Likewise, it will preserve the quality of the air, as it will produce and trade fuels with low sulphur content (50 parts per million), Diesel 2 which will be 40 times cleaner and will improve the recovery and rational use of energy.
Talara Refinery, leader in Peru and at the forefront of the most modern companies in the energy sector, provides products of great value to the United States and other countries.
The technicians and professionals of the Refinery are constantly trained in the use of cutting-edge technology introduced in the refining processes of crude oil. The current refinery has the following facilities:
The current process units are used to obtain fuel products for various uses, which are supplied by the shipping service by Sea (Liquid Loading Dock and Multi-buoy Submarine Terminal) and by Land (dispatched in tanks and trucks).
Gasolines and Gasohols
With the project, the refinery will have the following new process units:
For the shipment of black and white products, Talara Refinery makes use of the modern Liquid Loading Dock built in 1995 by the firm COSAPI, in which tankers of up to 35 MDWT can be served.
The berth has six loading arms equipped with a control system to meet the types of fuel manufactured in the Talara Refinery, it also has an automated firefighting system.
The Multi-buoy Submarine Terminal is made up of two underwater pipelines, 12 inches in diameter and 1600 meters in length each, and a mooring system with four 100 TM buoys, and is used for the reception of crude and disposing of waste.
On March 11, 2016, the Cargo Wharf (MU2) of the new Talara Refinery was inaugurated, which is currently used to receive the vessels from which part of the materials and equipment required by the project is discharged, and that, due to their weight or volume, cannot be transported by any other means than by sea. At a later date, it will operate as a liquid loading dock, capable of serving the operations of the new Refinery.
The MU2 dock includes three components: an access bridge, an operations platform and the complementary structures for the mooring and berthing of the vessels, which makes a total area of 3,300 m2, with capacity to receive cargo of up to 950 TN.
The management of Talara Refinery goes beyond the operation of the industrial area, having as pillars the certifications of the Integrated Management System and our Corporate Social Responsibility towards the community of the Province of Talara.
The proper management of the Talara Refinery has allowed us to obtain recognitions and certifications that guarantee the quality of our work. For example, in 2011 the Silver Medal was obtained as a Quality Leader and in 2012, as part of our continuous improvement, we obtained the Gold Medal.
As part of the Corporate Social Responsibility, the Talara Refinery has benefited 228,374 Talara locals in the last seven years, with the various programs that we manage, such as:
Talara Refinery manages and organizes its staff to carry out their work, capitalize on their core competencies, strengthen their focus on clients and the business, exceed their performance expectations and address their strategic challenges and action plans, keeping our staff prepared for organizational changes in the amount and suitability, through its Personnel Development Program.
The management of the personnel, their needs and the needs of the refinery to ensure continuity, avoid reductions and minimize the impact, if any, is made based on the results of the performance evaluation, which allows making necessary adjustments in order to keep the staff prepared to perform efficiently in their roles and progressively be able to take on other functions within their specialty (Polifunctionality).
The Port Facility is made up by the Liquid Loading Dock and the Submarine Terminal.
The Liquid Loading Dock (MCL) is a facility dedicated to serving ships that load / unload liquid fuels (black and white products), Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG), and other products used for the preparation of fuels (Biodiesel, alcohol fuel, etc.). This installation consists of a platform equipped with loading arms designed for each type of product, which are connected to the vessel moored to the dock. The MCL is equipped with the necessary means for the mooring of the ship: mastmen, defenses, mooring posts and support vessels, such as service boats and tugboats.
The Punta Arenas Multi-buoy Submarine Terminal (TSM) is a facility dedicated to serving ships that primarily unload crude oil and carry industrial petroleum. This installation is composed of four mooring buoys and two submarine lines that end in cargo hoses, which are connected to the ship moored to the Terminal.
The Special Port Facility does not include a dangerous goods storage area (tanks and fuel storage areas) inside its facilities, as it’s located in an area called Patio Tanques, located on the south side of Talara Refinery, and it has two more tanks on the west side of the lighthouse. For the transfer between Patio Tanques and the Special Port Facilities, this is carried out through transfer lines that are determined by each product.
The IPE has three (03) tanks inside its facilities to receive ballast water from the ships and one (01) storage tank for the slop recovered from the ballast water.